Thursday, April 29

Wanderings...

Since the weather was nice here in late February and has been up until now (brr!), Pudge and I have been getting out on walks pretty regularly. We walked more before I started seriously training for the Wasatch Back, but we still get out at least once a week. Mostly we go to the library, which is a convenient .8 mile walk from our house. In our wanderings, we've found some pretty cool things. Some of these things are actually cool and some of them just seemed cool at the time. :)

Springville is The Art City in Utah, so there are statues all over town. Even though I grew up here, I've never really seen most of them. This one is a new(ish) statue on the corner of Center and Main, a tribute to the pioneers who settled the valley. It's actually a gift from another town (can't remember which one), which makes me feel like it's our own little Statue of Liberty. :)

I had walked past this fountain/statue combination probably ten times before I stopped to read it. I actually recall sitting on the base of the fountain a few years ago at Art City Days and never paying any attention. Self-absorbed, much? I'm so glad I actually stopped to read it! "In memory of our soldier boys who made the supreme sacrifice in the world war." Such great local history. :)

And here's our famous art museum. It's such a beautiful building, but this picture doesn't really do it justice.

This is the creepy baby in the bushes in front of the art museum. I'm sure there's more to it, some symbolism or something, but I'm not cultured enough to get it. Apparently culture doesn't flow in Art City's water. :)

I think this bench is pretty cool. It's too bad that the bench will have to go when we get our new library soon.
I love this house! It's not a great picture of the house, but, trust me, it's amazing. It's a beautiful old house with a fantastic yard and seeing it this spring with these beautiful flowers just made me want a house. Even though I'd very clearly never put the work into the flower garden. Minor detail.  
Yeah, this is a random one. Actually, I really thought that my mother-in-law would like the front porch, with all the western old-timey stuff on the front porch, and then I was digging on the fence. It's not every town where you can find a house like this next door to your grocery store.
For this sign, I love this store. And will also be very careful about ever taking my children to the Corn Wagon Quilt Co...

I felt pretty cool figuring this out: the number is just stuck on the sign. How frugal is that? Great Clips doesn't have to get a new sign every time they have a sale -- they just change the number before between the $ and the .99.
This, yes, this is random but I'm posting it because I think I'm so funny. This is at our neighbors. They had two couches out front with signs saying "Free couches. Take them if you want them!" so Mark and I were going to carry them the 20 feet to our front yard, flip the signs over, and write "$20 for the pair." I crack myself up.

We live fairly close to what I believe are called the foothills, so there is a fair amount of wildlife around, too. This little guy (and his/her unpictured companion) was walking by the side of our house one day at lunch time.

We saw these two grazing in the backyard of a house that's for sale just around the corner from us. I also saw two deer in another backyard along Center Street walking to the library. They're everywhere!

And, to finish off our wandering report, the purple house.


6 comments:

  1. LU!!!!! The picture of Art City, the bird statue! That's the one we saw at Thanksgiving Point and you said it looked so familiar! Also, way to snap some awesome pictures of wildlife. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You totally crack me up. I think I laughed for five minutes about the couches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a purple house too that I pass everyday on the way to preschool. I'll have to show you. It is so vibrant! --I agree. The baby looks creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite would have to be the unattended children sign. Now I want to own or manage a business just so I can put one of those up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should totally do that with the couches. What a great idea. Oh and this post was pretty awesome, all except for the creepy baby statue!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that sign in the store! I think you should do that with the couches! And then let us know what your neighbors do!

    ReplyDelete