Thursday, November 19
Mom's the Word: Rebuttal
Yes, I know that it's kind of strange to post a rebuttal to my own words. But the more I read over the last (and only) Mom's the Word, the more I realize that I shouldn't be allowed to blog past midnight. Everything I plan to say goes away at that point, and the crazy acronyms come out to play. :) That said, I'm not rescinding that post -- just adding what I really meant to say in all the craziness...
The biggest point that I left out with the whole patience thing is that it's learned. (Very important detail that got lost in the acronymity.) No amount of mothering (or fathering) instinct can make up for the very steep learning curve of parenting. For example, learning to wait for your son to finish the deed before changing his diaper. (That one took me 7 days and 6 incidents, sadly.)
Sleeping when the baby sleeps? Also learned. At least for me, it's not a natural instinct (especially with all those new motherly vibes flowing and the extra housework that comes with the baby) to think, "I have an hour while the baby is asleep. I should really catch some ZZZ's." Now way! But after a week I gave in and started enjoying sleeping when my little man slept. Luckily for me, little man has no qualms about sleeping until noon, just so long as he's snuggled in bed with Mom (that's me!). This means I also learned how to sleep with a babe in arms and wake up without a dead arm or kinked neck.
These are the priceless lessons of life. . .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Get all the sleep you can now, but once you have two or more kids, sleeping while baby sleeps never happens. Unless, by some miracle, all the kids are asleep at the same time. *sigh* But that never happens! LOL!
ReplyDeleteI am in love with your baby. He is so adorable and yes, Sofie has some hair now. I keep telling Seth I am going to try and put it into a tiny ponytail and he says it is impossible. We shall see who wins.
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet baby!!! I can't sleep while the kids sleep anymore...it's precious ME time! I craft while kids sleep. :)
ReplyDeleteDear Lorene,
ReplyDeleteI miss doing random things with you and you are the master of air popped popcorn. Although sometimes when I write message to you, I feel intimated by your awesomeness in grammar and such. It kind of makes me want to throw all grammar to the wind so that it will just seem like I am incompetent, rather than the truth which is... I suck at comma placement.